A recap of our accomplishments in 2020 and the roadmap for 2021.
2021 is here, we’d like to take this time to reflect on everything we accomplished last year and what’s coming this year.
2020 was a huge year for Meter, with the launch of our mainnet, token sales, the release of the first Dapp built on our network, and more.
Let’s take a look at everything we accomplished in 2020 and what we’ll achieve in 2021 with respect to the development of our DeFi infrastructure, the adoption of MTR, and the growth of our community.
Roadmap for Meter’s DeFi Infrastructure
Progress in 2020
Over the past year, we made big strides in launching, improving, and decentralizing Meter’s DeFi infrastructure. Here’s what we accomplished in 2020.
- Successfully conducted the WarringStakes testnet competition.
- Launched the PoW+PoS mainnet with core functionality.
- The computing power of the PoW mainnet exceeded 90PH/s in the initial stage of the launch, and the PoS mainnet has more than 100 validator nodes to support the operation.
- Successfully released the Meter-Ethereum bridge and created eMTR and eMTRG.
- Launched the eMTRG liquidity mining program, which at one point garnered more than $1.3M locked up.
- Integrated oracles such as Chainlink for DeFi applications built on Meter to support the transmission of off-chain data onto the Meter blockchain.
- Increased the Meter network’s compatibility with Ethereum, allowing MetaMask to be used to transfer Meter's mainnet tokens MTR and MTRG.
- Launched MeterSwap, the first Dapp built on Meter’s mainnet.
The Meter network has 100 times the throughput of Ethereum and the same scale of validator nodes as Cosmos, making it one of the most performant and decentralized blockchains in existence.
Roadmap for 2021
In 2021, we will focus on launching more mainnet functionality, continuing to increase cross-chain compatibility, and building Dapps on Meter’s infrastructure.
- In January, we will reopen Warring Stakes on the testnet to test open staking and on-chain auctions, which will launch on mainnet in February.
- By the end of Q1, we will upgrade the network to fully launch the Meter-Ethereum bridge. After this upgrade, the Meter mainnet will allow any ERC20 token to cross the bridge and support third-party, multi-node, multi-signature transactions.
- In Q2, we will develop more DeFi applications on the Meter network.
- We will then launch the Meter Developer Program to attract more developers to build on Meter and expand our application ecosystem.
- We will implement community governance in 2021, allowing MTRG holders to participate in the future of the protocol.
Meter's DeFi infrastructure will be vastly improved in 2021 and many more Dapps will be built on the network. This will significantly increase the number of users in our ecosystem.
Roadmap for Growth and Adoption of MTR and MTRG
Meter uses a PoW+PoS hybrid consensus algorithm, and the PoW chain generates the metastable coin MTR as the currency of the system for transactions. MTR can be used to pay for gas fees and to participate in the on-chain auction for our governance token, MTRG.
Progress in 2020
In 2020, we forged strategic partnerships with many prominent blockchain projects to launch MTR on their networks to increase its adoption.
- In August, we partnered with Elrond to launch MTR and implement its payment and DeFi functions on the Elrond blockchain. Elrond’s encrypted currency standard mode (ESDT) will allow MTR to transfer funds on the Elrond mainnet at a very fast speed and with minimal fees.
- In September, we formed a partnership with Matic Network to introduce MTR onto their network. This will provide more stable assets to be used as collateral for DeFi applications built on Matic’s layer 2 network in a scalable and low-cost manner, while still being connected to the Ethereum network.
- In October, we partnered with TIXL to develop cross-chain bridges together and deploy MTR on the TIXL network.
- We launched the Meter Merch Store with Origin Protocol, where eMTR and eMTRG can be used as payment methods to purchase Meter-branded merchandise.
- In November, we forged a strategic partnership with Tokamak Network to launch MTR on their chain. We’ll also research building Ethereum bridges together.
- We will also deploy MTR on Oasis Network to power stable collateral and payments for privacy-focused DeFi apps.
Roadmap for 2021
This year, we will continue to partner with other public chains to launch MTR on their networks.
Additionally, our focus on building more Dapps on the Meter DeFi infrastructure will increase adoption of MTR significantly.
Community Growth Roadmap
Our community has grown to over 30,000 Meterians! This is powered by our 20+ community ambassadors in various countries around the world, helping to connect with our global users.
Members in our various communities have participated in many of our programs in 2020 to help us build our brand:
- At the end of 2019 and early 2020, we announced the Warring Stakes testnet competition. Dozens of validator nodes joined the testnet to prepare for the mainnet launch.
- In February, we launched the Community Grant program, inviting global users to participate in the promotion of Meter, creation of content, and participation in community-related activities.
- We also launched the Community Developer Program, inviting developers to contribute code to improve the Meter testnet. Several developers joined the Meter team to help in development.
- We also recruited ambassadors to help spread the word about Meter across the world. There are currently more than 20 community ambassadors in different countries around the world, helping us grow communities in various languages such as French, Spanish, Japanese, Indian, Russian, Korean, Vietnamese and others.
- We had super successful token sales! We held our IEO on Gate.io, which was 46x oversubscribed. We also held public sales on Cobak and Blockzone that sold out in less than a minute.
- We held more than 50 AMAs, answering thousands of questions across many channels.
We could not have achieved everything without you!
In 2021, we will continue to spread the word about Meter to grow our ecosystem and increase adoption.
We accomplished a lot in 2020, but there is much more to come in 2021 and beyond.
We appreciate your support and can’t wait to continue to grow with you!